Friday, September 23, 2011

Three Races in Two Weeks

I'm getting a bit crazy I think, but at least it's a good crazy?

Race #1 was the Moonlight Madness 5K in Winston-Salem on Friday September 16th. This would be my first evening race. I enjoyed the cool temperatures for the evening, but it was a bit of a clusterfuck having 900 people run through a very narrow entryway to the running path. A lot of stopping and starting. Also, the pathway was about 4 people wide and I almost got sideswiped by a lady with a 2 wide stroller. Generally I try not to grumble about the strollers but it was night, hard enough to see, the path wasn't wide and once she got in front of me, she had this stupid strobe light on stop of the stroller (facing us, not in front of it) so my left eye was blinded for a good amount of time. I think my anger made me run a little bit faster but due to the course, it evened out and I did my usual time frame of 39:16

Race #2 was the next morning....the Autism 5K. I ran this one because my running buddy picked this one to do (she is doing a race a month). Yes, I was a bit tired come morning time but again, it was a very cool weekend and I love the temps. The race route was through the UNCG campus (which I enjoy because I learn the campus more and more and then I'm less likely to get lost the next time I am there) hehehehe It was a loop course which was okay, but then I was being passed by the elite runners and then I was passing the walkers....which meant I was running in the grass a lot. Again, kept to my usual time frame 38:40

Race #3 was last night, MS Run 5K, again on the campus of UNCG and another evening race. I wasn't feeling great during the day so thought I would pass on the race....but then got my butt in gear after work and headed over. It was again a loop course and I did get passed by elite runners again, but this time only a few. It was pretty damn hot though and I know I tried to push myself a bit at the end and got slightly overheated. Race time was 38:57

I'm done with races for awhile. I am super busy in October and haven't been able to find a race to do in the area on the one free Saturday I have. I may not worry about it until last minute.

Keep on Running :)

1 comment:

  1. Hm, I think night and strollers sounds like a bad mix. I have done one night race so far and it was hard enough with just runners, I wouldn't want the strollers in there, too.

    Wow - go you! A night race followed by morning. That sounds hard!

    That sounds like a fun jam packed schedule! I just did 4 races in 14 days and once that last race was done I felt so strange having a free weekend. ... Enjoy your race break! :)

    ReplyDelete